ECLIPSE WATCH AT NORWICH UNIVERSITY

Monday, August 21
1:20–4 p.m.

On August 21, a partial solar eclipse will be visible in Vermont in a celestial spectacle you don’t want to miss. But remember it is DANGEROUS to look directly at the Sun, even during a partial eclipse. Norwich faculty and staff have organized activities to help you SAFELY watch the Moon take a bite out of the Sun.

Michael Zeiler/GreatAmericanEclipse.com

Michael Zeiler/GreatAmericanEclipse.com

Activities take place at the following locations:

1. WEINTZ COURTYARD (BY ALDEN PARTRIDGE STATUE)
NORWICH UNIVERSITY
• Norwich physics professors Art Pallone, Tabetha Hole, and Elisabeth Atems will help you view the eclipse with special equipment and certified eclipse viewing glasses.
• Math professor Cathy Frey will give visual eclipse demonstrations.

2. CABOT 085 AUDITORIUM
NORWICH UNIVERSITY

• Relax in Cabot 085 from 2-4 p.m. for live streaming of the total eclipse.

3. RITZER-DAVENPORT ASTRONOMICAL OBSERVATORY
763 SOUTH MAIN STREET (enter through garage)

• Norwich University Chaplain “Rev” Wick—a board member of the Vermont Astronomical Society—invites you to his observatory to safely view the event through his specially outfitted telescope and with eclipse glasses.

(When crossing Main Street, use the crosswalk. Be safe!)

Norwich 2017 Eclipse Viewing Locations

Norwich 2017 Eclipse Viewing Locations

Have Your Own Glasses?
If you purchased eclipse glasses and want to make sure they’re certified for Sun viewing, bring them along for the professors to check out.

FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Contacts:
Art Pallone
Chair, Department of Physics
Norwich University
apallone@norwich.edu (best, especially on weekends)
(802) 485-2317 office

Jacque Day Pallone
Norwich University Office of Communications
jday1@norwich.edu
(802) 485-3329 office
(802) 661-4012 mobile (best, especially on weekends; can receive texts)

PLANNING TO ATTEND?
Please RSVP by filling out the comment below. Include the number in your party, at which location you anticipate beginning, and whether you have eclipse glasses that you’d like us to inspect. RSVP is not necessary; we’d just like an idea of anticipated attendance to help with planning. Thank you!

added

This entry was posted in Events. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to ECLIPSE WATCH AT NORWICH UNIVERSITY

1. Neil Cerutti says:

I have a daughter who is very keen to view the eclipse. I do not know which viewing area is best for a family of four, but we’re willing to try any of them. Two adults and two children age 9 and 12.

• jday1 says:

Hello. Thanks for your interest and your RSVP. All locations are family-friendly. I suggest you start at the Weintz Courtyard (location number 1 on the map). We look forward to seeing you on eclipse day.

Respectfully, Art
      On behalf of the Norwich Eclipse Team

2. Kristen Hixon says:

Kristen Hixon 3 in party. We aren’t sure which venue to begin.

• jday1 says:

Hello. Thanks for your interest and your RSVP. I suggest you start at the Weintz Courtyard (location number 1 on the map).

I also want to take the opportunity to answer your questions sent by email for everyone to see the answers, as they are common questions.
      1. “Will we need glasses to attend your function?” You don’t need your own eclipse glasses to come enjoy the activities.
      2. “Can you recommend a source for glasses?” I am unaware of any local stores, libraries, or other places that have safe eclipse glasses left to distribute at this time. The online sources I trust are either sold out or require minimum orders of 50 or more that may not reach you in time for the eclipse.

We look forward to seeing you on eclipse day.

3. I will be attending with my 7 yr old grandson !
    We will be at the Montshire museum for the 1st part of the day !

4. Christine Smart says:

I am planning to attend.

5. Alan Zaur says:

Three of us would like to join you. We do not have glasses.

• jday1 says:

Great! We have a variety of activities planned that will enable you to view the eclipse in different ways. See you on eclipse day!

6. Laura Schaller says:

There will be three of us. Thanks for doing this!

7. Sue MacMartin says:

I am planning to attend.

8. Eric Caswell says:

My two boys and I plan on attending we do not have glasses. I believe we’ll start at the courtyard.

Eric Caswell

9. Carrie Gilman says:

Four kids and two adults

10. Carrie Mays says:

2 adults

11. Mary says:

I would love to participate as well.

12. Erik Nielsen says:

I’ll be attending without any glasses. I’ll show up at location #1. What time should I get there? Thanks for doing this, by the way!

13. Jim says:

Would like to come down with group of 4. Open to any of the 3venues. Thanks for doing this!!!

14. Derek Fulton says:

Look forward to this opportunity