About Me

Hello! My name is Gina Sherriff (gsherrif at norwich dot edu- note that my email address is missing the last “f”) and I’m an Assistant Professor of Spanish at Norwich University. My main field of academic interest is the Latin American Detective Novel. I have done research on the works of Roberto Bola├▒o, Jorge Ibarg├╝engoitia, Mario Vargas Llosa and Rodolfo Walsh. I received my Ph.D. from Yale University in December 2010, my M.A. from Middlebury College in 2004, and my B.A. from Carleton College in 2001. While at Yale, I received a Beinecke Pre-Prospectus Research Fellowship, and I was a McDougal Center Writing Fellow for two years.

On this site, you will be able to find out a little bit more about me, find syllabi for courses I have taught and am currently teaching, and learn about my research. I will also be posting to a blog that I call Weekend Reading, where I review detective fiction from all over the world. Why would I do this? Because I love detective fiction, and I think it can offer significant insight into certain aspects of national or regional culture. If you have any comments about the books I review, or have a novel that you’d like to recommend, please leave me a comment anywhere on this site.

In my spare time, I enjoy traveling (whenever possible), reading and jogging. You can find out what I’m reading by following my blog, “Weekend Reading,” where I review detective fiction from all over the world.

I am also a mom. My son, Callum, was born in 2010. For his first Halloween, he was a pumpkin:

Finally, here are some recent pictures of my husband and son. As you can see, Callum will probably become an avid reader like his parents!