Pre-Health Career Advising

I am the Pre-Health Career Advisor at Norwich University and the Advisor to the Pre-Med Club.  In this role, I serve as a resource for students who are interested in pursuing graduate school in the health sciences, including programs in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, pharmacy, and many others.  I assist students as they navigate their way through the complicated process of preparing for these programs.  I also am the Chair of the Health Advisory Committee, which serves to evaluate students for letters of recommendation to graduate programs in the health sciences. 

We are proud to say that many of our Norwich students are successful in getting into medical school, dental school, and other health graduate programs.

2 Responses to Pre-Health Career Advising

1. Brittany Taylor says:

Hi Karen, I just have a few questions about going to Norwich and studying Pre-pharmacy. How would I go about doing that? I was searching on the website and I see no info on pre-pharmacy. Can you please help me out.

Thank you, Brittany

• karenhinkle says:

Hi Brittany,

You can absolutely prepare for Pharmacy school at Norwich, in fact one of our alums just graduated from the University of Massachusetts with her Pharm.D. (She majored in Biology at NU). What you would want to do to be the most prepared as possible would be to look at the prerequisites that the Pharmacy graduate programs have, and then make sure to take those specific courses; it’s likely that most of them will require Calculus, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry (which are requirements for the Bio major), Anatomy/Physiology, Microbiology, (which are Biology electives), among others. You would most likely want to major in Biology, Biochemistry, or Chemistry, although that’s not necessary as long as you take the “core” requirements that would prepare you for a pharmacy grad program.

I hope this helped, especially the information about our alum that was accepted to and completed a Pharm.D. program and now is a successful pharmacist. If you would like me to put you in touch with her, I’m sure she would be receptive to talking to you about how NU prepared her for her PharmD.

Let me know if you have any other questions! Take care,

Dr. Hinkle