|Brief Biography: I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Norwich University. I teach introductory and advanced courses in Environmental Engineering as well as core Civil Engineering courses and labs.
I am also the Director of the Center for Global Resilience and Security at Norwich University, a research center focused on building resilient communities to combat large scale environmental impacts related impacts in the areas of water, infrastructure, and energy.
My research interests are in green infrastructure, sustainable water resources management, and climate change related disaster resilience through engineering innovation. I have used grants through NSF’s EPSCoR program and from the USEPA to research, design, and model green stormwater infrastructure and innovative treatment of nutrients in stormwater and agricultural runoff.
I am also active in engineering education activities including service learning, K-12 STEM outreach and integrating research into undergraduate curriculum, and community engagement in water and climate initiatives.
My terminal degree is from Florida State University. I have previously served in engineering positions at the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and as Sustainability Manager for Environmental Management Center in India.
Tara Kulkarni, Ph.D., P.E.
158 Harmon Dr,
Northfield, VT 05663
Phone: (802) 485-2268
- Ph.D. (2004) Florida State University
- M.S. (1999) University of Toledo
- B.E. (1998) University of Pune (College of Engineering Pune)
- Environmental Engineering (class and lab)
- Fluid Mechanics (class and lab)
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Introduction to Sustainability
- Sanitary Engineering
- Introduction to Engineering (lab)
- Sustainable Water Resource Management
- Environmental fate and transport modeling
- Environmental education through Service-Learning and K-12 STEM outreach
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Tau Beta Pi (TBP)
Select Highlights (while at Norwich University):
- 2017 Board of Fellows Faculty Development Prize, NU
- 2017 Research Apprentice Grants (with Elizabeth Ells, Evan Shortsleeve, and Irene Magdon), NU
- 2017 Research Apprentice Grant (with Maria Trejo), NU
- 2016 Research Apprentice Grant (with Elizabeth Ells), NU
- 2017, 2016 ASCE ExCEEd Mentor
- 2016 Dodge Award, David Crawford School of Engineering
- 2015 Charles A. Dana Fellowship, Norwich University
- 2015 Four state campus compact and Davis Foundation grant
- 2014-2015 P3 Phase 1 Grant, USEPA
- 2014-2015 VT EPSCoR Pilot Project Grant
- 2014, 2015 ASCE ExCEEd Assistant Mentor
- 2014 Dana Category 1 Award, Norwich University
- 2014 Curriculum Development Fellowship, Norwich University
- 2013 ASCE ExCEEd Fellow
- 2013-14 VT EPSCoR Pilot Project Grant
- 2013 Charles A. Dana Fellowship, Norwich University
- 2012 Curriculum Development Fellowship, Norwich University
- 2012 NSF’s Science: Becoming the Messenger Fellow
- 2012 Vermont Campus Compact Faculty Fellow (Scholarship + Grant)
- 2011 Carol A. Moore Scholarship from the Vermont Women in Higher Education
- 2011 Chase Junior Faculty Startup Grant, Norwich University