1. Sustainable water resources management: I am interested in connections between surface and groundwater resources from qualitative (innovative treatment technologies/green remediation) and quantitative (LID/GI) perspectives.
- Kulkarni, T., Pervious Concrete Filters for Sustainable Water Resource Management, P3 Awards: A National Student Design Competition for Sustainability Focusing on People, Prosperity and the Planet, EPA-G2014-P3-Q4 – Water; $ 14, 957 – 2014-2015.
- Kulkarni, T., “A suitability model for Green Infrastructure/Low Impact Development Projects to manage stormwater in Vermont watersheds”, Vermont Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (VT EPSCoR), $9,917 – 2014-2105.
- Kulkarni, T., “Impacts of Phosphorus on Surface Waters from Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems in a Changing Climate”, Vermont Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (VT EPSCoR) – $9, 950 – 2013-2014.
- Kulkarni, T., (2015), Green stormwater infrastructure suitability for CSO communities in Montpelier, Vermont, Floods, Droughts, and Ecosystems: Managing our resources despite growing demands and diminishing funds, Proceedings of the World Environmental Water Resources Institute Congress, May 19-21, Austin, TX, pp. 282-291.
- Kulkarni, T., (2015), Using LID Projects to Engage K-12 Audiences: A Rainwater Harvesting Story, Proceedings of the International Low Impact Development Conference of the Environmental Water Resources Institute, Houston, TX, 2015, pp. 93- 104.
- Kulkarni, T., (2014), “Municipal Drinking Water”, Report Card for Vermont’s Infrastructure, American Society of Civil Engineering, Vermont section. Available at http://www.vtasce.org/wp-content/uploads/2014-ASCE-Report-Card.pdf
- Kulkarni, T., (2014), “Municipal Wastewater”, Report Card for Vermont’s Infrastructure, American Society of Civil Engineering, Vermont section. Available at http://www.vtasce.org/wp-content/uploads/2014-ASCE-Report-Card.pdf
- Kulkarni, T., and A. Kubes, (2014), Trends in Potential Risks and Nutrient Releases from Septic Systems, World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, June 1-5, Portland, OR. Poster.
- 2016: Report Card: Vermont Infrastructure, Resilient Vermont Conference, Norwich University, 2016 (with Jessica Louisos, and Amanda Hathaway-Corrente)
- 2016: GSI: Northfield Walking Tour of Green Infrastructure and Flood Recovery, Resilient Vermont Conference, Norwich University, 2016 (with Ann Smith and Michele Braun)
- 2016: Radio Interview, Vermont Edition, Vermont Public Radio, May 17
- 2016: Emerging Issues in Water Security, Department of Geology and Environmental Science, Seminar
- 2016: Creating a STEAM pipeline through Green Infrastructure Outreach, Green Infrastructure Symposium, University of Vermont, March 30, 2016.
- 2015: Video Interview on Watershed Moments, Vermont EPSCoR, June 4, 2015: Available at http://epscor.w3.uvm.edu/2/node/2202?URL=http://www.uvm.edu/~epscor/jwplayer.php?video=video/wm_Tara_wm2015_final_h264-1b.mp4
- 2015: University of Vermont, Seminar on “Vermont’s Water Infrastructure, Sustainable and Resilient?” in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 2014: Radio Interview on the Mark Johnson Show October 9, 2014: – Available at http://markjohnsonshow.podbean.com/e/10914-tara-kulkarni-norwich-university/?token=8bc2c026b0120a579ea10f0c18f3d2ef
- 2014: Lyndon State College: Water Sustainability and Infrastructure, March 31, 2014
2. Fate and transport modeling: I develop multi-compartmental toxicokinetic models to track contaminant fate and transport within the human body and use the modeling results to develop remediation strategies to address the risk.
“Pharmacokinetics”, Committee on Faculty Research Support (COFRS), Florida State University – $8, 000 (2001)
Contributor (2009). “Remediation Risk Management: An Approach to Effective Remediation Decisions and More Protective Cleanups”, Interstate Technology & Regulatory Council.
3. Engineering Education: I research pedagogical tools such as service-learning, ASCE’s ExCEEd model, classroom technology, engineering concepts in NGSS for K-12, etc.
- Kulkarni T., Lutz, M., Roberge T., and D. Westerman, Contributing to development of a flood education park in Northfield, VT., Campuses for Environmental Stewardship, Four State Campus Compact Consortium and the Davis Education Foundation – $4,000 (2015-2016).
- Kulkarni, T., “Service-Learning in Environmental Engineering” – Vermont Campus Compact and the TD Charitable Foundation– Environmental Service-Learning Teaching Mini-Grant – $600 – 2012
- Kulkarni, T (2016) Rebuilding in the Floodplain: Revolutionizing Engineering Education through Municipal Infrastructure Projects, Proceedings of the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Northeast Regional Conference, University of Rhode Island, April 28-30, 2016. Available at http://egr.uri.edu/wp-uploads/asee2016/133-485-1-RV.pdf
- Tefe M., and Kulkarni, (2015), Educating the engineering educator, American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Northeast Regional Conference, Northeastern University, April 30- May 2, 2015.
- Kulkarni T., Affolter, R., and D. Bailey, (2015), Energy sustainability and engineering education for K-8 teachers, Journal of Sustainable Education, Vol. 8, January 2015, Available at http://www.jsedimensions.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Kulkarni-et-al-JSE-Vol-8-Jan-2015.pdf
- Kulkarni, T., (2014), “Service Learning as a Pedagogical Tool for Citizen Stewards”, The Common Good: A SUNY Plattsburgh Journal on Teaching and Learning, 2, http://digitalcommons.plattsburgh.edu/commongood/vol2/iss1/4
- Kulkarni, T., (2014), Service-Learning Projects in Environmental Engineering Courses: Models of Community Engagement, American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Zone 1 Conference, University of Bridgeport, April 3-5, 2014. (Best Professional Paper Award from the Xerox Corporation)
- Mladenov, N., Kulkarni, T., and M. London, (2014), Use of In-Class Demonstrations and Activities to Convey Fundamentals of Environmental Engineering to Undergraduate Students, 121st American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference and Exposition, June 15-18, 2014, Accepted
- Kulkarni, T., and K., Dunkle, (2013), Teaching Quantitative Concepts in an Introductory Hydrogeology Class, Abstract, Geological Society of America, Vol. 45, No. 7
- Supan, K., and T. Kulkarni (2013). State of Women in Engineering, Extended Abstract Presentation,